Read-Only Fileserver access for celum folders
A DAM system like celum is typically only one component in a complex marketing or media production workflow. In the beginning, images are produced – for example, delivered by a photographer. Within the DAM system, these images are now checked, tagged and copyright information and expiration dates are set. Now we face the problem that the images need to be used in other production systems.
So far, the only way to retrieve image data directly from celum was to use the open.api interface or to provide the data by a task that exported the data in the file system. If you want to use the data for a website where you need lowres images and not the original file format this makes of course perfect sense. For a catalog production on the other side, where you need to access the original files you would need to double your storage capabilities – because even though the files are in celum, standard solutions like Adobe InDesign cannot directly access them. Since celum uses its own high-performance data storage with a custom structure, you are not able to access the images directly. But this is very often exactly what you want – to work with the data and folder structure you organized in celum.
For precisely this problem, we have developed the Shadow-Folder plugin. With this plugin, we ‘export’ the celum TEAM Edition directory structures and the data contained therein via hardlinks to a directory on the celum server. We combine this virtual folder structure of celum system with the original data from the data store. Because the data is linked with the folder tree of the original data, the initial ‘export’ is very quick. After that we monitor the directories in celum so that, at the moment, where a file is added, deleted or moved, the changes are immediately visible in the Shadow-Folder directory on the file server.
We do not export an additional original data volume, even if the systems that access this directory by default Windows Share, see the complete file information and can work completely normal with the files – eg place in InDesign. The only restriction is that the data is only provided read-only.
This, of course, presents us with a host of interesting options and it is possible to integrate celum data in other systems without a lot of custom programming.
- celum TEAM Edition folder structure incl. assets available in the file system
- No additional storage needed
- Fast initial export – changes in celum are immediately available (event based)
- Compatible with version.control
- Ideal for automated catalog- or marketing production
- In connection with PowerFolder decentralized publishing possible
- Only read-only access
- ‘Export’ celum folders and assets as hardlinks to the filesystem
- Direct and fast read-only access to celum folders and assets
- Configuration of different link export folders
- Link export from preview, original or custom layout data
- Export of assets as filename, orginal name or celumID
- celum TEAM Edition 2013.7+ Server
- We recommend celum TEAM Edition 2015.1.2
- Shadow-Folder hardlinks must be created on the same partition as the celum original data
- Unique, operating system compliant naming of files and directories
In conjunction with Lobster PIM and the Priint Comet catalogs can be generated automatically without the need to awkwardly export or copy any data from celum in advance. With the Lobster MAM-Sync the PIM system knows the exact path to the images in the file system and can provide this information to the Priint Comet Plugin. Thus all information – product and image information are available to generate a print ready PDF document.
In conjunction with the synchronization solution PowerFolder we ca also provide the data to other branch offices or external service providers.
Using the different Powerfolder clients for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android we make sure that you sales staff automatically receive the latest sales material from celum.
Invalid Displayed Gallery